Monday, May 17, 2010

My Visa Interview

Hi Friends,


This is my first post on my blog page. The idea came in my mind when I thought of writing few things in my diary and started with the green pen, guess what? I had not used those pen from long back and now they are not working, so though of writing things on web. Here is my first blog. I know most of the people are not interested what some individual think about something or about own experiences but I am writing this just for me, my near and dear ones.


A little background before the scary day:


When I was working with Persistent and already decided to leave the company, in fact I had offer from a multinational company, one afternoon I got call from AKS consultant about some job opening and the lady on the call was talking a lot about the company and my possible future there. I heard her and said yes for the interview. She scheduled the interview same day and I visited the company Aptara Corporation. Interview was very good; the person who took my interview gave a signal of my taking me for the job. He asked if I am willing to visit onsite, I said yes I can go. He said if you are not willing probably you are not for the job. I said yes – I want to visit, that would be good for me. I thought that many companies make promise while recruiting but after becoming employee of the company policy does not take much time to reflect a change in the manual, so said yes to everything. Finally got offer form Aptara, offer was very good as compare to the one I had in hand so accepted thinking that, 2 offers in hand is good and maybe I will get more before my actual joining. The big fight was about joining date. I had given my joining date to the earlier company as 19th April considering my notice period at Persistent but Aptara wanted me join ASAP and if I cannot join within 15 days offer will not be valid so I started discussion with managers at Persistent and got consistent answer about not being able to release me before my notice period completion date. Finally I got released form Persistent on 2nd April 2010.



When I accepted offer from Aptara, they asked me to fill Visa form online, I did discuss this with family and some friends as to whether I should go with the MNC or the small company Aptara. The opinion was mixed however majority of the people were agreeing to me about joining small company. I filled DS 160 form and got the date of Visa interview as 6th April 2010. I went to Delhi Aptara on 5th April for some necessary documents required for Visa process. The lady was very disappointed as I did not take printout of the DS 160 form for the reference. I tried to get the printout of the DS 160 but there was no way to do so and finally I got to know that print out cannot be taken . I went to Aptara guest house at new friend’s colony where 3 clients were already staying. When I was leaving for Guest House the Aptara lady said “Ajay please do not smoke and drink in the guest house as there are 3 client people staying there” I said “I do not smoke and of course I know how to live in guest house”, the lady was not so happy with the answer I gave but had to accept. She was treating me like a kid who is going to school for the first time. Yes, I was going for the Visa for the first time but it was not about Visa 


When I entered the hall area of the guest house it was all Cigarette Smell in the air, I thought of calling the lady and ask her for some other arrangement for me, just to let her feel that these guys are smoking too much and she was teaching me.


My Manager called me to tell me about – How to smile during Visa Interview, how to dress up, how to talk and yes how to stand. “Ajay make sure that your shoes are well polished and there should not be any wrinkles on your shirt or pant”. At 11:30 PM I did iron my cloths and once again did some shining exercise on my shoes. There was another call scheduled to teach me about Visa interview and I forgot to call the person who was supposed to teach me.


I went to sleep but felt like there were many people around me suggesting many things at the same time and I am not able to understand any of them. Definitely it was not a good night at all.


Visa(Scary) Day:



6th April stressful morning, once again I did show polish and many times said “I am good” staring me in the mirror. Driver came to guest house and called me to start for the US embassy. In 15-20 minutes we reached US embassy after asking 2-3 times as to where be US Embassy. I saw a crowd standing in front of the Embassy office; some guys were dressed up very well and looked confident and there were few like me, dressed ok and not bad at confidence. I saw a man walking to fast in a limited space and could not stop me from asking a question – “Is there any problem?”, he said actually my wife is inside for the dependent Visa and I am not sure if she will be able to make it so a bit worried. I said “she will do it” just to make him feel good. After 10 minutes his wife came out and both embraced each other with happiness. He came to me and introduced her wife to me “Thanks for your support”. I had done nothing but few words which reduced some stress. Security guard was announcing something which I did not get to know but saw that some bunch of people moving forward to get in line in the queue. I asked one guy as to why only those guys went forward? He said that it was their turn to get in. I was still not sure as to why only those people moved? Again when at 9 am security guard that 9:30 than I got a pattern, that people are called 30 minutes before their actual scheduled interview. Oh so I would be called at 9:30. There were few guys from Wipro and Infosys showcasing their job proof and came forward to me asking that “Are you here for L1? I said no “its B1”; they said oho, no one is here for L1 perhaps. They were looking some SATHI of same Visa type.


9:30, security called 10 o clock batch and I moved forward with the visa fee receipt and Visa Interview letter. Officer checked the Interview letter and fee receipt, stamped on Visa Interview letter. I got in and first thing I looked for was “Toilet, men’s toilet”. I presented my paper to the lady and she punched some number on my application form, at the same time suggested to keep looking at the digital board for my number and counter to appear. It was E65, I looked at the digital board and it was showing E61 so thought that mine would be coming soon. I saw the number and walked in to the Interview hall. There were people lined up in no of queues and I moved to my counter. There was a senior person before I appear for my turn, he was struggling to find the required letters and finally the Visa officer said to move him aside and asked me to come forward.


First – Good Morning Sir. I felt good, first time an American is saying good morning to me. I had to write and pronounce good morning/evening/night many time to our so called gods “The client” and today is the day when some American wished me 
Second – are you married sir, yes
Third – where your wife is, she is in Pune


He retained few papers and returned me the Invitation Letter, Passport and attached a smiley on my passport. He asked me to move forward to the next window.


I though WOW, got the visa just 2 questions and everyone scared me. This is very easy. I could have not taken any stress if I knew it was so easy. I moved to the next window and gave all the required finger prints. Again that lady asked me to wait for my turn and keep a watching digital board. Oh, what is this? Do I still need to go for interview? I realized that earlier was not interview and it will happen after a long wait. I found the place to sit and made me comfortable. There was a Punjabi family waiting for my turn and their children were, o god, one was pushing me every time he will say something to his mom. I was taking care of my shoes and pant. And he did it; I thought it will be bad to show my dirty shoes to the officer and tried to get back some shine on shoes. I was continuously looking to those windows and the average time they were taking for Visa approval and rejection. There was a fat black lady; she rejected 3 in a row. I thought if I will move to this window she will reject me for sure. I kept watching at the digital count and here I go. “E 65 – please come forward”.


1st – Good morning sir, once again I felt good but did not think much as I was concentrating on the officer.
2nd – Are you married sir, yes. Being married is good :)
3rd – Why are you going US, I explained that, going for some KT session.
4th – Why you? I was identified during interview for this visit.
5th- What is the name of the application? I was blank because it was not told to me as to what the application and the name. I said “Financial Publishing Fixed Income Innovation”.
I was not sure if will be able to tell the same name if he asks me again.
6th- Who gave you this “Invitation Letter”, HR, Printed or Soft Copy? , Printed.


He was looking at invitation letter as its 500 currency note.


It’s time to hear good/bad. He was typing something and after 2-3 minutes he placed my passport with the application in the approved basket.

Sir, you got the Visa Congratulations!!!.


I was so happy and moved out. A 50 year old (approx) uncle interrupted me from moving forward and asked “beta tum andar se aa rahe ho na?” I said yes. “mera beta bhi gaya hai, kitna mana kiya ki matjao par manta hi nahi”. I said why are you asking him not to go abroad, he said “ I am a pure Brahaman and he will eat non-veg there”. I laughed and said it’s up to him whether he want to eat beg or non-veg. he said if he will non-veg in$4 and $10 for veg, why will he eat veg.


Finally I could make it and yes it’s all about being confident. The Visa officer did not look at my shirt wrinkles and my shining shoes.


This is all about Visa day.


No comments:

Post a Comment